they make a delish make ahead, no cook breakfast porridge. i just made a batch for the next few mornings.
1/4 cup rolled oats (not fast cook or instant)
1/3 cup skim milk
1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
1 1/2 tsp chia seeds
sweetener (i used 1 packet stevia in the raw an 1 tsp of maple syrup)
put in a half pint mason jar, put on lid, shake. open, add blueberries to top and reseal. put in fridge and eat in the morning.
- have more Omega 3 fatty acids than flax seed (important for heart health)
- are the richest non-marine whole food source of Omega-3 (better than salmon)
- absorb 10 times their weight in water and transform into a gel-like substance--great for athletes for maintaining hydration and helps with weight loss by making you feel full longer
- are as high in protein as quinoa
- are loaded with calcium, potassium, Vitamin B, and anti-oxidants
- help balance blood sugar via the gelling action of the seed and it’s unique combination of soluble and insoluble fiber that slow down your body’s conversion of starches into sugars
- have a neutral taste so they will take on the other flavors in a recipe
- can be eaten whole (unlike flax seed); they don't have to be ground before adding them to food in order to digest them and benefit from their nutrients
- have a two year shelf life, stored at room temperature (flax seeds quickly become rancid and loose their nutritional value)